top of page

Permits Required

Permit Information

The Building Inspector conducts inspections on all residential and commercial construction projects inside the city limits.
The City of Paris has adopted the 2018 International Building, Residential, Plumbing, Mechanical, Fuel Gas, and Existing Building Codes.  The Paris Fire Department has adopted the 2018 NFPA with Life Safety 101 for Fire Protection Codes. (See Codes Adopted)

The Board of Public Utilities handles all Electrical inspections and currently enforces the 2008 National Electric Code.

Building Permits are required to:

  • Construct a residential or commercial building.

  • Alter, add an addition, repair, or remodel a residential or commercial building (interior or exterior)

    • Beyond the scope of normal maintenance repair (defined in next section), including removing or altering load bearing timbers, replacing supporting walls, moving partitions, and eliminating windows or doors.

    • Install siding, roofing (>33%), fireplaces, make a curb cut, replace mechanical devices (gas water heaters, HVAC’s, gas piping, and commercial exhaust hoods), solar panels, or add or move plumbing.

  • Move a building or accessory building.

  • Place or replace a modular, double-wide, or mobile home on a property.

  • Demolish a building or any structure.

  • Change the occupancy or use of a building.

  • Add or replace a deck or concrete pad (over 200sf).

  • Build, place, or replace an accessory building (over 200sf) on your property (including carports).

  • Construct or install a swimming pool (above or below ground).

  • Initiate land disturbance activities: clearing, grading, excavating, cutting, or filling earth or debris.

  • Alter in any way the flow of storm water (adding culverts, or modify ditches, ponds, or detentions).

For an application click: Building Permit Application (you may print the application, fill it out and submit it to the City Business Office at 100 North Caldwell in Downtown Paris).

To submit an application online:  Building Permit Submittal.


When is a Building Permit not required?

Normal maintenance repairs shall be defined as repairs to an existing building or structure, including but not limited to exterior and interior painting, papering, glazing of windows and doors, floor finishing, minor repairs to chimneys, stairs, porches, underpinning, replacement of fixtures, and repairs to an existing roof not to exceed 33 percent of the roof area.


Who can obtain Building Permits?

A property owner who presently occupies or intends to occupy a single family residence may obtain a building permit to construct or repair a residence. This is commonly referred to as a “Self-Permit”. It does not apply to commercial or industrial business owners for their personal businesses. When a single family residential property owner gets a building “Self-Permit”, the owner assumes all responsibility for ensuring that their work meets the requirements of all applicable Zoning, Building, and Trades Codes and are subject to normal construction inspections by the Building Inspector, Electrical Inspector, and Sanitary Inspector.
If a project is in excess of $25,000, a Tennessee Contractor’s License and proof of Workers Compensation Insurance are required.


* An owner may act as general contractor to build his own residence to live in (1 house every 2 years).
Permit and Insurance requirements still apply.


** If the total floor plan, with or without additions, new or existing buildings, is greater than 5000 sf a construction design by a Tennessee Registered Architect or Engineer is required.
In all other cases Contractors who are properly licensed and bonded with the TN Department of Commerce & Insurance Administration will obtain the building permit; within the limits established for their licenses. A Contractor’s License is required for all commercial construction that would require a permit as described above.


Some applications require approvals from other Departments, such as Water and Sewer, Health, Planning Commission, Public Works, Historical, or Zoning. For instance, your project may require a site plan, construction plans, minor/major subdivision, or other similar approval.  Please review the Minimum Building Permit Requirements for additional information required before applying for a building permit.  For Permit and related fees please review the Fee Schedule.

Permits Required

Driveway Connections or Curb Cuts:

  • In residential areas whether the work is for a curb cut, driveway entrance or installation of a culvert, a permit is required.  There is no fee for this permit.

  • In commercial areas a permit is also required for a curb cut, driveway entrance or installation of a culvert or any type of drainage structure.  There is no fee for this permit.

For an application click:  Curb Cut/Driveway Connection Permit

Mechanical Permits are required to:

  • Add or replace HVAC equipment

  • Add or replace a gas water heater

  • Add,  modify, or replace gas piping

  • Add, modify, or replace a commercial exhaust hood (kitchen, paint booth, etc.)

Plumbing Permits are required to:

  • Add or move plumbing fixtures

  • Modify or replace waste drainage system (Galvanized to PVC, etc.)

  • Modify or replace water distribution system (copper to PEX, etc.)

  • Sewer connection

Electrical Permits:

  • All Electrical Inspections are scheduled thru the BPU and conducted by a State Electrical Inspector

Yard Sale Registration:

  • Yard Sales are required to be registered (No Fee)

  • Sale can run for maximum of 4 consecutive days

  • Allowed 4 sales in a calendar year

bottom of page